Actually I'm not, that is the Apache official logo in EPS format - if the
PDF is created with lossless format it does not render so well, if the JPEG
lossy format is used you will see (and do in the last pdf) a marked
difference. However, the lossless pdf printed at 300 DPS shows off the
feather just fine - without the huge stroke (that is what makes it look
black) as displayed in some readers.