On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 00:42:26 +0100
Ricardo Berlasso <rgb.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/11/4 Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
>
> > On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Ricardo Berlasso <rgb.m...@gmail.com
> > >wrote:

> > > number
> > > did
> > > of
> > > >

> > > It happened to me too, but only on the EN forum. I think the problem is
> > not
> > > related with the https change, at least not directly. In fact, I remember
> > > that something like this happened a couple or years ago, and the
> > conclusion
> > > at the time was that there was some kind of "brute force attack" to gain
> > > access to the forum looking for a weak password. If that's true, then the
> > > https came in right time :)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Ricardo
> > >

> > Well after 5 attempts, I finally got in. Not sure what the problem was...
> >

> It seems there is something wrong, after all. If I try to log-in I get the
> too many connections error. If I log-out and immediately log-in again, I
> get again the too many connections error too. Unless the "attack" is really
> massive and quick, there is another problem here.

On a phpBB bulletin board "noxwizard" says in
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2176870

% Re: Maximum allowed number of login attempts

% Post by Noxwizard ยป Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:10 am
% If it's happening for all users, you should check to see if everyone has the
same IP (check Who Is Online).
% If they do, then your host is most likely proxying the requests before
sending them to you
% and not correctly restoring the IP.

which may offer a solution to those who understand phpBB.
This is linked from the Forum thread on this problem at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65448

Also, since this login problem has stated, listed logged on users (registered +
unregistered) are at about 10% of normal levels - currently 16 listed , whereas
I would expect about 150. Typically we would have 1.5x the old forum (currently
96) and 5x the LibO forum (currently 15), so the logged on number is way down.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>