On 8 November 2013 00:43, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:

>> when

>> > Just checked, there are no outstanding issues with aoo-bz, except its
>> very
>> > slow because it has not yet had the db moved. The "scheduled outage" is
>> > unknown, but could be the backup which runs very early morning (europe
>> > time).
>> >
>> > rgds
>> > jan I.
>> >
>> > Ps. once again it was suggested that we move to jira.

By whom?

AFAIK, JIRA requires more resources than Bugzilla.

>> So for argument's sake, and speaking purely hypothetically, what are
>> the pros and cons of moving to JIRA?  It is worth at least discussing
>> whether this would be something worth looking into.
>>

>> ==Con==
>>
>> 1. Assume migration of new bugs would be imperfect.  But maybe not so
>> bad.  We have many attachments, comments, etc., but the comments are
>> all plain text, not rich text.
>>
>> 2. New tool to learn for volunteers.  But many of us know JIRA also.
>>
>> 3. Would require some time to migrate, from Infra and from BZ admins
>>
>> 4. ???

The handling of attachments is poor comnpared with Bugzilla (which is
very straightforward).
There does not seem to be a way to add comments at the same time as an
attachment.

Marking an issue as a duplicate requires a separate operation to link
to the duplicate issue.

AFAIK importing issues requires quite a long down-time.
This would presumably affect both Bugzilla and JIRA, as Bugzilla would
need to be be read-only for the duration.
It may be quicker if JIRA is set up as a separate instance.

>> ==Pro==
>>
>> 1. Performance/stability?   I assume that is why Infra was suggesting this?

AFAIK, JIRA needs more resources and is less stable than Bugzilla.

Make sure this information is checked with Infra before it is relied on.

>> 2. Agile features that help with release planning

It is easier to find issues that relate to a particular version.

>> 3. Anything else ???

UI looks nicer, but has been known to change without warning between releases.