On 15 November 2013 18:59, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:53 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
> orwittm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > On 15.11.2013 08:38, janI wrote:
> >
> >> On 15 November 2013 08:25, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
> >> orwittm...@googlemail.com

> >>  Hi,

> for

> this

> that

> value

> value

> don't

> >> I have done a similar thing on ubuntu 12.04, manually modified
> >> LinuxX86-64Env.Set.sh and it builds correctly.

> version
> >>>

> >> It seems the right place to do this is configure.in. But why detect
> >> version, why not simple set the flags ?
> >>

> > Yes, you are right.
> > When it works in the build environment with all the different Java
> > versions this is the simply solution.
> >

> > Best regards, Oliver.

> Unfortunately for this little trial, I apparently misunderstood the
> reasoning, and did this --
>
> javac -source 1.7 -target 1.5
>
> which javac got upset with, and thus my error.
>
> On the other hand, I did get a lot of warnings (I use verbose build option)
> -- not permanently kept -- that were no doubt about deprecated or changed
> methods in our current code.
> These may be useful to us, I don't know.

How about making a BZ with the deprecated or changed methods, that could be
a nice task a java developer.

Maybe we don't need the "-source", just "-target"?

On ubuntu, it assumed 1.7 if I did not specify -source, and that gave me a
lot of warnings (could be the same you saw). Adding -source 1.5 tell java
that the source is 1.5.

> I also changed some of the other java "requirements"  in configure.in to
> require 1.7 for building.
>
> So, I will play with this more in the next few days, and report back.

Looking forward to hear that, it seems we are many now working on changing
different parts of the build system.

have a nice weekend.
rgds
jan I.