On 11/22/2013 1:52 AM, jan i wrote:
On 22 November 2013 10:34, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 11/22/13 9:52 AM, jan i wrote:
Hi.

We have been discussion to reduce our footprint on the mirrors, see:

It would be wise of us to have this solved before we release 4.1, in
order
not to have a potential delay.
anybody is free to work on this, as always at Apache the work have to be
done

The base discussion (please correct me if I am wrong) is which of 2
options
we want.

1) as today, 1 full image for every language (approx. 150Mb each). This
takes a lot of space on the mirrors, and lead to a little week for delay.
2) 1 full image containing all languages (--with-language). This takes
the
approx 200-250Mb). Advantage is fast copy to mirrors, users can online
switch language. Disavantage. Users need to download a bit more.

I have no strong opinions, except I dont like that we take up soo much
space on the mirrors.

we talk here mainly about some disk space on Apache mirrors. I can't
remember who wanted the binaries on the Apache mirrors I personally can
live with the binaries on the SF mirrors.

For me most important is that we reduce the downloads for our millions
of users. I am open for a working solution that make the download and
installation for our users in the same way easy as what we have today.
Disk space is for me not really a good argument.

If we would have a multi-language install set only we would need a
proper setup that select the correct language, so that users don't have
to deal with an English version by default. The got potentially lost!

Synchronizing the bits once on the mirrors seems to be peanuts compared
to the millions of downloads.

And to be honest I don't see that anybody will work on this in the near
future, that is at least my impression.

I don't like that we try to move an internal, technical problem to our
million of users.

Actually, I am one of millions who live abroad and use AOO with multiple
languages, so at the moment, I compile my own version --with-lang="da es
en-US" so it can be used.

But in general I agree with your point.

Not having the binaries on apache.org is for sure the simplest solution,
and if we can decide that, then I am sure infra wont have a problem.
what if we have single install with all langs at apache.org? that way it is there, but considerably smaller from a real estate perspective but allows us to preserve binaries. For user downloads @ sourceforge, we continue to have the 1 per lang downloads that focus on the user.

A.

rgds
jan I.

Juergen