I noticed this note, which I thought was odd:

http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/msg35699.html

I'm hoping this is just a confusion, but we do need to be careful to
avoid confusion in this area, since it can cause users to panic.

The facts, as I understand them:

There are two features in OpenOffice (and in LibreOffice and Microsoft
Office) that users refer to when they talk about passwords:

1) Password protected encrypted documents

2) Password protected sections, cells, read-only files, etc.

An encrypted document is as good as your password.  We use good, high
quality encryption in ODF documents by default.  And we use MS Office
compatible encryption, which is also good, with Office files.

But in practice most users have far weaker passwords than they should.
 The context of a password protected file is much more vulnerable than
a website password.  A typical website will allow you to attempt a log
in 3 or 5 times before locking you out for an hour or more.  But
someone who has your encrypted document can attempt to guess the
password without any such restriction.  They can run sophisticated
programs, standalone password crackers, with GPU hardware acceleration
to attempt billions of passwords.  So a casual password of 6
alphanumeric characters will be quickly broken. So given the context
users should be using longer, more complex passwords.  Of course, that
makes it more likely that they will forget the password and show up on
the forums when they forget.  However you look at it, document-based
passwords are a 1985 solution to a problem that is better solved today
in other ways.

As for the protected sections, we should all know that these are
"honor system" protection mechanisms, essentially child safety locks,
and offer no real cryptographic protection.  This is true in MS Office
is well.  The feature is there to help the user define sections that
they don't want accidentally deleted, but the password protection can
be trivially defeated in 30 seconds with a text editor and a copy of
unzip.  This is not a flaw in OpenOffice.  This is not a bug.  This is
how the feature was designed and has been used in Microsoft Office and
even 1-2-3 before then.

Hopefully we're telling users something that is consistent with what I
outlined above.  Of course, it is quite possible that many users will
not understand this and all they hear is "My password can be broken so
OpenOffice is bad".

Regards,

-Rob