Le 22/12/2013 02:36, Rob Weir a écrit :
On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net> wrote:
Hi All,

For the record, I've created a Gmail account (aoo.forum...@gmail.com) so
that users can really contact the forum team. We had in the past an
automatic process that could reply and give the user basic information
(registered or not, ...). Since it's no longer working since the move to
ASF, we had no means to handle problems from users (login failures and other
issues).

Is there any reason we can not use a mailing list for this?  I'd
rather we use an Apache-owned mailing list (a private one if needed)
than a GMail account that we do not control.

Why not a mailing list as long as it is private.
If you find someone to explain how it would work and to implement it, no
problem.

I'm rather worried by the turn over in the admins of the forum. First Terry,
then JanI who did a lot to update the forums and wiki, then RGB who is
suddenly taking a long break (announced in the private section of the
forum). Imacat seems to have other priorities so there is no one left.

The forums need at least a periodic maintenance to avoid problems like few
months ago. For the record, phpBB is not up to date, the download icon has
not been changed yet and of course, there is no automated mailbox reply.
The forums have proved that they were rather efficient, they are a huge
knowledge base now. But strangely, when it comes to administration, no one
can resist very long.
So is there any problem? Are the forums really part of the roadmap in this
project?

You tell me.   When the forums came to Apache, you and others insisted
on a large degree of autonomy, to manage your own volunteers according
to your familiar rules.  Hopefully part of this was for volunteers,
with the needed skills, to advance via merit, to take on larger
responsibilities, including eventually admin and sys admin roles.  Is
this not happening?

The problem is that all the volunteers who dealt with the technical issues
linked to ASF have quit.
Strange, isn't it?
NB: it may be related to something I'm not aware of. I remember some
discussions on the private ML (not very recent since I unsubscribed a long time
ago) that were appalling, some with high emotional load.
To be honest, I'm starting to believe that the adaptation is only one way and
that some people are not that happy to deal with a forum.

Have you done a "call for volunteers" recently?  We've had a lot of
luck doing that to find Translators, QA, Doc, etc.  We haven't done
this for forum admins since the assumption (my assumption at least)
was you wanted the forum admins to be familiar with how you run things
there.  But if you want to do a more public "call for volunteers" you
can certainly use our project blog for that.

I made one for the automated mailbox end of June (no reply at all).
I made another one for admins at the end of the summer.
Jürgen volunteered IIRC. Since he does already a lot and that JanI stepped in,
I've not contacted him.
But now we need another admin so yes, this is a call for volunteers.
But it should be someone used to the technical discussion with ASF/infra. The
job doesn't seem to be that easy, needing a thick skin. The technical job is
not difficult on the forum side I think. The main issue is the relation with
the project I guess.

Thanks,
Hagar