On 30.01.2014 10:24, Herbert Duerr wrote:
On 30.01.2014 09:40, Andre Fischer wrote:
1. Is it possible to build on OSX with only freely available tools (that
don't require registration)?

Apple's XCode development environment is available for free in either their app store or in their "downloads for developers" area. Apple requires a registrations for both.

Instead of free I should have used the word open as in open source. Registration seems not to be compatible with that concept.

Since an Xcode download is a plain disk-image file that could be easily redistributed there might be alternative channels for them, but I'd strongly recommend to use the reliable and legal download locations from the original provider Apple. If there are direct download links at Apple that don't require registration then they are not well publicized. If anyone knows such a link please provide it.

I am not asking for ways around the registration. I am asking for alternatives that maybe do not come from Apple. Does macports provide a gcc/clang compiler?

2. Is there anybody with access to a Mac who is willing to extend the
building guide to cover OSX?
    [2] and [3] describe in some detail how to build OpenOffice on
Windows and Linux (in its Ubuntu flavor) but hardly a word on OSX.

Once XCode is installed it's just the plain generic svn-checkout, configure and build steps documented in [1]. The good thing about XCode is that it provides all that's needed.

So? The same is true for Linux and Windows and we still have detailed building guides for them.

3. I remember that I also had to set up macports [4] for some frequently
used shell commands (I think) but that is not mentioned anywhere in the
building guide.  Is it not needed anymore?

I don't have macports or fink installed and can build just fine. All our build requirements are covered by Xcode.

Of course these tool sets provide a lot of value, e.g. if anyone prefers to write his helper scripts in e.g. Lisp then macports is a good way to get a lisp interpreter for free. But our build doesn't require any of this.

Ah, I didn't know that.

I think that it is not enough that it is theoretically possible to build
OpenOffice on Mac OSX.  It should also be documented in a public place
so that everybody can do it.

Get XCode 4.5 and install it.

What about the "... or later" on the build requirements page. The referenced download page offers by default XCode 5. Does that work?

Do the generic AOO build [1].

[1] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO

By the way, I'm working on enabling an AOO build with newer XCode versions, that no longer provide a 10.7 SDK.

I'd suggest to not give up so easily. If a download requires a registration then annoying as it may be, it is nothing a reasonably experienced developer cannot handle. Even Mac newbies often manage to get things from the App Store.

Not without their passwords.

And you are right, I am not an experienced developer on the Mac platform. More reason to have proper documentation. I still have not given up hope that sometime somebody will provide it.

-Andre

Herbert