On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I while ago we were contacted by some academic researchers in Spain
> >> who wanted to do a usability study about OpenOffice Writer.   The
> >> wanted to interview Writer users, both new and experienced.
> >>
> >> You can read about the study here:
> >>
> https://sites.google.com/site/silviateresitaacunna/Home/usability-in-oss
> >>
> >> Since data privacy would not allow us to give them our mailing list to
> >> contact the users directly, we came up with the idea of using an
> >> opt-in survey to collect the names of those who would be interested.
> >> You can see the draft survey here:
> >>
> >> http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/396365/lang/en/
> >>
> >> It collects basic info about the users and their experience level, and
> >> then at the end asks if they agree to participate in the follow-up
> >> study.  If they agree then we collect their email address.
> >>
> >> If you get a chance, please review the survey and let me know of any
> >> concerns.
> >>

> > The phrasing on the year questions, "Each answer must be between 0 and
> > 100", seems a bit odd, as if one is expected to give more than one answer
> > to the question.
> >

> Here's the issue with that question:   Our experience with the prior
> two questions is that we run into trouble when asking a  "how long
> have you been...." type question.  We saw people entering the year
> they started doing the action.   So they would enter "2010" if they
> started using OpenOffice in 2010 rather than "3" for three years.  So
> the field validation is attempting to give an error if they make this
> mistake.  It restricts the duration field to a number between 0 and
> 100.

Oh, I understand the intent.  It was just the use of the word "each" that I
wondered about, since "Each answer must be between 0 and 100" appeared
before multiple questions.  So it was reading a bit to me that the
restriction applied to "each" of the presumably potentially multiple
answers to that question.