On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/20/2014 11:53 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>

>> On 20 Apr  2014, at 14:02, Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO, most users just take what's provided by default. Unless it is
>>> too buggy. So I think that basically, we are back to the question:
>>> why AOO is still not available in the standard packages?
>>

>> There are several ways of answering your question. I'll take the high
>> road, and presume, for argument's sake, that the main Linux
>> Distributors (the "distros") are acting in good faith and chose to
>> align themselves with what they believed to be a sustainable
>> community organization ca. 2011.
>>
>> These main distros that most in the West think of when they think of
>> Linux, I'd guess, include Canonical's Ubuntu, Red Hat's Fedora
>> Project, and KDE.* (I didn't check SuSE.) None includes Apache
>> OpenOffice.
>

> Well KDE is a window system and not a distro. It is used on a variety of
> distros including openSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu (Kubuntu), etc. But, your
> statement is true enough that no major Linux distribution includes Apache
> OpenOffice.

For Ubuntu, please register / log into Launchpad and visit
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1131253 where you can subscribe
for notifications and select that the bug affects you too and thus
generate a higher bug heat, hopefully persuading packagers that AOO is
important to package into the (universe?) repository. The bug gets 4
points of heat per person affected and 2 points per person subscribed
to receive notifications, so we only need 9 more people to do this,
for it to get > 60 points which will put it on the first page of
"needs-packaging" bugs ordered by bug heat :).

Damjan