On 21/06/2014 Marcus (OOo) wrote:
a new idea came into my mind:
In the past we had some events where an announcement was helpful. So, we
added some hardcoded text on top to a webpage (e.g., Wiki is down).
To get this done in a more dynamically way I created this:
http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_alert.html

Well, that looks much nicer than what we have had so far, including the big headline "New: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 released!".

At the moment it's just static in this HTML file. But if accepted it
should be the target to place it in a separate file to get it integrated
in other webpages, too.
Opinions?

If we are to use this space for announcements, it's OK to have it on the homepage only.

But, as Ariel once wrote, we could also look into including the Bootstrap CSS framework to this aim, since it guarantees cross-browser compatibility, it leaves room for customization with plain CSS and it comes with a number of pre-defined styles, see for example http://getbootstrap.com/css/#helper-classes ; so we could have some common functionality out of the box.

Regards,
  Andrea.