Hi everyone,

I've been following OpenOffice and ODF's evolution for quite some time now, and
am interested in getting involved in the community, as I think there's some
areas I could contribute to. I've previously had many discussions about this
with Louis Suárez-Potts, who suggested I introduce myself here.

Briefly, my (recent) work has been on word processing for mobile devices -
specifically, UX Write, an iOS word processor based on HTML5. This is a
shipping product that's been on the market for a couple of years now and has
many thousands of users. From the very beginning I've focused heavily on
supporting open standards, and have an intimate understanding of HTML5, OOXML,
and ODF as a result of my work on the project. I've written a lot about the
design of the app at http://blog.uxproductivity.com.

I note the currently-limited OOXML support in OpenOffice, and would like to
learn more about the current work being done on this, and contribute to these
efforts. I've previously written a mostly complete .docx <-> HTML filter in UX
Write, which supports almost all features, and uses non-destructive updates for
preserving unsupported elements on save. Currently I am early stages of adding
ODF support, and am familiar enough with the spec to understand the
relationship between the two formats pretty well.

There's also a ton of thoughts on my mind about bringing OpenOffice/ODF to
mobile, but in the interests of brevity I'll leave those for a separate mail :)

I'd like to begin contributing to OO by helping document the word processing
aspects of OOXML and their relationship to ODF, ideally in the wiki. The
official specs of both formats serve poorly as an introduction, and I think a
more gentle explanation would be of use. If you would like to see this, I'd be
happy to register on the wiki and begin writing.

--
Dr. Peter M. Kelly
Founder, UX Productivity

PGP key: http://www.kellypmk.net/pgp-key