On 16/08/2014 Peter Kelly wrote:
On 16 Aug 2014, at 12:55 pm, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
I've also been fixing (or breaking, who knows!) some documentation on
my clone (my "fork" as Github likes to call it) but I'll submit a pull
request only when basic things work.
I've just merged in your changes and also invited you as a committer

Thanks. Note (this is just for information, I have absolutely nothing against it!) that Apache projects using Github as primary source have a policy of not integrating code without a pull request. So one needs to "fork" (in the Github sense of course, so not a "fork" in its common meaning) the project and create a pull request. This is necessary because Apache prefers (and at time requires) that all patches being integrated are not only under the right license, but also voluntarily contributed. "Apache Way" class finished, sorry for being boring and let's move on...

Then you'll be able to push directly to it instead of
having to maintain your own fork.

Perfect. Of course, it was a fork in the Github meaning rather than the common meaning, so I never meant to maintain a separate version, I just wanted to produce pull requests,

I vote that we establish a policy of rebasing instead of merging in the
general case (unless there's a good reason to do otherwise), as this
will help maintain a mostly-linear history

No strong preferences for me. But I won't commit anything to the repository until I get my account properly configured, since it is from my work account and I can't afford to mix (so, if a couple of commit with the wrong e-mail address already sneaked in, this is already bad, but I'll now setup my accounts and environments properly before doing any other activity).

Anyway, I have nothing to commit at the moment in terms of code.

Regards,
  Andrea.