Reading this thread really makes me sad !

Its basicually the same discussion I experienced when I joined 2 years ago,
not much have changed.. The tone is still the same AOO is superior and LO
lives by copying our code.

In my opinion BOTH projects have made a lot of progress on their own (NOT
by using code from the other), and that should be acknowledged.

Independent of the number of mails, It is a fact that this list, even
though called dev@, contains nearly no development discussions nor does
these discussions take place elsewhere publicly.

It is also a fact (SADLY) that LO and AOO will never be one again....but
should that be a reason to continue wasting volunteer time (in my last
count 84% of all strings in AOO and LO was identical, and we still
translate both projects independent).

In my humble opinion we could easily have a shared codebase of minimun 80%
of the code. Put it in a common git repository and allow LO as well as AOO
committers to write code. The 2 projects would then have the last 20% in
their own respective repositories.

Doing that would require only 3 changes:
a) all common code must be multi licensed, which is the case for most of
code already.
b) AOO should grant LO committers committer status and visa versa.
c) The people "in charge" should be told that this is what the communities
want, and make it happen.

and of course the "old guys" should either obstain from commenting or be
positive in the choise of words. Before I get flamed, please look at the
beginning of the thread where jürgen has a very well formulated positive
mail.

One way of showing, that AOO is a vibrant community, would be to publish
the result of the recent survey (I dont know the reason why it has not been
published), that would be a good way of showing the activity level (the
survey was targeted to find out more about the community).

For those who do not know it, I resigned recently from AOO-PMC mainly
because I felt it next to impossible to get processes started to make our
community more active. AOO with Apache has so much to offer, but we do need
to accept facts, stop discussing and start doing !

rgds
jan I.