Have you checked the definition of these functions, like SUM(), in the
OpenFormula specification before you get too carried away?  Those have to be
reconciled with the data type that a cell is identified as carrying.  So if the
cell is identified as carrying Text, rather than Number, the rules of
OpenFormula prevail.  Now, OpenFormula does not dictate how the type of a cell
is established and how entries via the UI are converted, so you have some
leeway there.  Just be careful, please.

Also, it is preferable, when comparing what is correct or not in interchange
among implementations, to compare with the way the same ODS file (not XLS) is
processed when opened by Excel 2013, for example.  If there is still an
interoperability discrepancy, we can narrow that down.  (Conversions among ODS
and XSL[X] just create even more places for possible round-trip defects having
nothing to do with the rules for the SUM function itself.)

Finally, is there a bug report on this, with an example of what is claimed to
be a defective computation?.  It would be good to ground this situation with
some actual spreadsheet files that we can all inspect and be clear about what
we are looking at.

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    dennis.hamil...@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail