-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:r...@robweir.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 08:10
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org; Dennis Hamilton
Cc: myers_dar...@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Can open Open office add?

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> Have you checked the definition of these functions, like SUM(), in the
> OpenFormula specification before you get too carried away?  Those have to be
> reconciled with the data type that a cell is identified as carrying.  So if
> the cell is identified as carrying Text, rather than Number, the rules of
> OpenFormula prevail.  Now, OpenFormula does not dictate how the type of a
> cell is established and how entries via the UI are converted, so you have
> some leeway there.  Just be careful, please.
>
> Also, it is preferable, when comparing what is correct or not in interchange
> among implementations, to compare with the way the same ODS file (not XLS) is
> processed when opened by Excel 2013, for example.  If there is still an
> interoperability discrepancy, we can narrow that down.  (Conversions among
> ODS and XSL[X] just create even more places for possible round-trip defects
> having nothing to do with the rules for the SUM function itself.)
>
> Finally, is there a bug report on this, with an example of what is claimed to
> be a defective computation?.  It would be good to ground this situation with
> some actual spreadsheet files that we can all inspect and be clear about what
> we are looking at.

Another factor, when dealing with text, rather than numbers, in a cell
is the locale.   The string "1,000" could be interpreted differently
in an English spreadsheet document versus a German one.

<orcnote>
  A yes, all of the issues around internationalization of text entries
  taken as numbers.  Important.

  Also, I forgot that there must also be preservation of interoperability
  with ODS in LibreOffice as well as determining the alignment with
  Excel 2013 handling of ODS files.
</orcnote>

-Rob