From: Yuri Dario [mailto:mc6...@mclink.it]
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2015 07:43
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Qt as a replacement for VCL

Hi,

having written or updated most of the OS/2 code in VCL project, I have
some experience with it.

I'm not enterint the debate QT-yes/QT-no, I will only offer a
developer point of view.

We can simply use QT like an existing operanting system API, like OS/2
PM or windows GDI/windowing. As we create a window using the os native
api, we can also create a window using QT API. Same for drawing,
printing, etc...

This way will not expose QT API to upper levels, they will still use
VCL approach, so you don't need to touch UNO or other components.

This will have the positive side effect of removing all platform code
from VCL since OS/2, Windows, *unix have QT ports.

This will add one more layer inside operations, since QT will map to
underlyng native API, but I don't think this will hurt performances
for modern computers.

But will give AOO a single approach to windowing for all platforms,
making it easier to update and maintain on all platforms.

It will be still possible to retain current native-VCL approach if
platforms developers wants.

just my 2 cents.

--
Bye,