On 29/01/15 19:19, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I didn't even know about this page,
> <http://www.openoffice.org/why/why_compliance.html>, until I saw an update on
> the Apache ooo-site SVN yesterday.  I glanced at it and didn't think much
> about it.
>
> Today, Simon Phipps has pointed out how strange that page is.  I agree.  If
> you stand back and look at the question from the perspective of someone
> interested in adopting Apache OpenOffice in use, this page is not helpful.
> Something, if anything, more straightforward and pertinent is called for,
> based on what it is within our power to provide.  I am grateful to Simon for
> pointing out how over-reaching this page is.
>
> The current page speaks to matters that are none of our business as an Apache
> Project and it somehow raises a matter of specialized interest as if it
> matters broadly to adopters of software of various kinds.  The footnote that
> the ASF does not have such positions should have alerted me farther.
>
> I have only returned to the dev list for a few months, and I don't recall any
> discussion about that page and the posture it presents in that period.

I still don't see the problem with this page and I think it gives some
interesting information for people who are not so familiar with open
source software and the different open source licenses.

It can be seen as background information.

In the context of the "why" page it is dos no harm and just provides
some more information that I find interesting, informative and worse
reading.

If we remove or change this page I believe that simply play the gm of
other people and do what they want. I can imagine that some some people
don't like it but this doesn't change the facts that are listed here.

We have much more important things to do in the project than this and I
hope we can and will concentrate on these important things.

Juergen