Hi.

We have a page http://www.openoffice.org/why/why_compliance.html which
seems to be like a red carpet to a number of people.

There are of course people who do not like the page because they would like
another license to have the headline, they are not my concern (as long as
the page we produce are correct).

There are also people (myself included) that feel this page can too easily
be misread as expressing the view of ASF and AOO.

The page has lately been changed and among other a line at the bottom has
been added:
"

*The Apache Software Foundation does not take a position on, recommend or
advise the use or non-use of any particular software license or family of
licenses."*
Surely that is enough in legal terms indicate that the page is the opinion
of somebody not ASF. But for many they see this as the normal disclaimer
and being on the bottom many do not even read it.

We as a project cannot and should not speak on behalf of ASF, nor should we
have web pages that causes longer negative discussions (I cannot refer to
the mails on private@ and elsewhere, but only say that lately we talk about
a lot of mails).

I, as PMC member, do not see the need for a page that causes this kind of
discussions, and would prefer to see it removed....however a statement on
top of the page saying something like:
"This page do not reflect the opinion of ASF or the AOO PMC"
would at least stop the negative discussions.

Thoughts?

rgds
jan I.