On 13/03/15 14:31, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Were you offered a clear opportunity to decline the additional content that
> their DownloadAdmin included along with Apache OpenOffice?

With my Linux box, using Firefox with Adblock on, and NoScript on, and
something else that blocks things from websites also turned on, I
browsed it.

My conclusion was that if javascript was not blocked, you would
automatically download their "DownloadAdmin" software, which, in turn,
would download something --- probably OOo 3.x, but maybe something else.

There is a link to the sourceforge download page for AOo.

On http://www.openoffice.us.com/openoffice-developers.php there is a
link to:
http://www.openoffice.us.com/cmsfiles/OOo_3.2.1_src_extensions.tar.bz2
and
http://www.openoffice.us.com/cmsfiles/OOo-SDK_3.2.1_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe
The rest of the links on that page go to openoffice.org, not
openoffice.us.com.

On http://openoffice.us.com/openoffice/disclaimer.php
the page says:
«
 How are you able to provide this software for free?

We're able to offer you this software for free because we are advertiser
supported. When you launch our installer program, it gives our
advertisers a chance to speak to you. You can simply Decline the
advertiser offers if you are not interested. If you are interested, then
Accept their offer; it will help us offer more software for free in the
future. There is no obligation to accept any offers, you can skip all
advertisers and still install and use the software for free.

Here's a detailed summary of the advertiser products that you can
optionally select during installation:
»

Somewhere way down the page is a screenshot of installation on windows.
The first thing I saw was "FREE Games.url", and the next line was "Free
Songs.url", and a couple of other lines that, in the circumstances look
suspicious.

It is, at best, an old version of OpenOffice.org (3.2, but maybe 3.1).

However, I am utterly unconvinced that it is a safe download, even if
one declines all the things that they ask permission to install.

jonathon