Hello Anthony,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 03:48:19PM -0400, ANTHONY CRUZ wrote:
> Ideally, I’d like to work with the Open Office source code for the
> main app on OS X. I was attempting to set up a working Xcode project
> (which I prefer over Eclipse and I’m interested in the Aqua build), so
> I’d be able to run and debug the application like a typical Cocoa app
> but there isn’t an obvious way to set up an project since there is
> quite a bit of source code and the class documentation is a bit hard
> to find (for me, navigating the Wiki to find relevant info was not
> easy).

I never tried to use Xcode as an IDE with OpenOffice source code, so
I can't tell; you should see if it can create a project from existing
sources using an external build system.

> Piecing it all together by looking through the source code with no
> knowledge of a project of this size is going to be quite time
> consuming so I was hoping someone could point me in the right
> direction. Is there only a thin native Cocoa layer in the main app? Is
> the textview used for documents native (does it use NSTextView?)

OpenOffice is a multi-platform project, so the system-dependent parts
are plugged-in and not used directly through the whole source code;
there is a system abstraction layer in the VCL module, these classes are
used all over the source code, the system dependent part is confined in
plugins and not exposed to the applications; the following documentation
is rather outdated, but it explains the concept of VCL plugins:
http://www.openoffice.org/gsl/
http://www.openoffice.org/gsl/vcl/plugins/index.html

Regards
--