On 25 June 2015 at 22:58, Dennis E. Hamilton <orc...@apache.org> wrote:

> In April, Andrea Pescetti provided a great blog post on prospects for
> cooperative work among users with shared interest in the OpenOffice code
> base, "Collaboration is in our DNA":
> <https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/collaboration_is_in_our_dna>.
>
> That topic and related matters have been discussed from time-to-time in
> private discussions of the Apache OpenOffice PMC.  There is agreement that
> it is best, and timely, to have this discussion in the entire Apache
> OpenOffice community.  That means discussing collaboration and cooperation
> prospects here on dev@ openoffice.apache.org.
>
> I propose to kick that off now.
>
>  - Dennis
>
> BACKGROUND AND SKETCH
>
> I am a member of the AOO PMC and also an ASF Committer.  This note and the
> others I will offer are my personal opinions and analysis.  I am *not*
> speaking for the PMC in any manner.  I am simply expressing my suggestions
> on how to articulate a foundation for collaboration.  This is to bootstrap
> a discussion that matters to the PMC, I trust, and that will be valuable to
> the AOO community and other on-lookers.
>
> I want to address what the aspirations of the Apache Software Foundation
> (ASF) are in terms of its principles and policies, and how they arise in
> the character of Apache projects.  When I appeal to principles that are
> bedrock for the Apache Software Foundation, I will provide references and
> locations where those are presented and discussed already.
>
> The idea is to identify fundamental principles behind the framework which
> AOO and all ASF Projects operate within and which cooperative activities
> are expected to be consistent with.  The idea is to use that as a basis for
> exploring and bootstrapping some actual cooperative activities.
>
> Here's what I see in a progression of discussions about principles and
> areas for action.
>
>  1. The ASF Principles on how code of others is accepted into ASF Projects
> and how it is respected.
>
>  2. The ASF Principles on source code and what kind of licenses are
> required on source code that is part of a release.
>
>  3. The possibilities for cooperation on source code that cannot be used
> directly in an ASF Project release and how that can be handled in
> distribution of binaries.  The preferences for optional dependency as
> opposed to essential dependencies and where they apply.  Dependencies that
> are disallowed on principle (and for which only very specific, narrow
> exceptions are considered, if ever).

I can follow your other points but not this one. Apache does pr rule not do
binary releases. If a binary is provided it is a convenience NOT a release.
Single PMC members (or others) might provide binary releases on their own
behalf.

This is actually a point where the AOO PMC walk on a very sharp sword, so
the wording here is extremely important.

I find your other point very good discussions point, so maybe we should
leave the binary release for a moment.

>  4. Other forms of cooperation that are mutually beneficial and provide
> important reduction of duplicate efforts, magnified impact of contributor
> efforts, etc.
>    These include security, incident reporting (bug reports) and analysis,
> and QA for starters.
>    There is also one that is important to me personally and that is
> cooperation on interoperability assessment and documentation that expands
> the quality of support for ODF (and, potentially, OOXML).
>    End-user-facing support is also a gigantic opportunity for improved
> support of users here and elsewhere.
>    Developer-facing support such as hackathons, plugfests, and interop
> demos and cross-pollination at organized events is also opportune.

This of course signals that the other part is interested in a "partial"
cooperation.

>  5. The prospect for some sort of federation around the openoffice.org
> code base and perhaps interoperable/reference ODF implementation.
>
> That's my thinking.

and good thinking it is, let us how others react, I am not a "average"
community member in this respect.

rgds
jan i.