I am changing the practice of development and submission of Reports to the
Board.

Technically, Reports to the Board are an accountability of the PMC Chair to the
ASF Board of Directors.  It is one of the matters that is an obligation of the
Chair and it is to the Board and only the Board.

Clearly, the PMC holds the responsibility for the project and will contribute
and be consulted.  However, the direct accountability to the Board is the
Chair's alone.

Until further notice, the AOO Report to the Board will be developed by the
Chair privately with the PMC and will not be made or discussed in public before
its submission and acceptance by the Board.  Subsequent to that acceptance and
its publication by the Board, typically a month later, the final version will
also be made available for the information of the full Apache OpenOffice
community and as part of the project's historical materials.

This change does not diminish in any manner the participation of the overall
community as reflected here at dev@ oo.a.o and as represented by the PMC.  All
deliberations and discussion that do not require confidentiality for some
reason (mainly personnel matters and private requests) will be carried out
here.

I expect working in public to increase greatly, not to diminish, and you will
all have earlier awareness of substantive developments.

Because there had been a different practice for previous Board Reports, I
wanted you to know what would change rather than leaving a question about what
is happening with the future reports.

 - Dennis