On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:09 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <dam...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I see there was a historical attempt to upgrade the build environment
>> to gbuild which migrated some modules
>> (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_Environment_Effort), and a
>> more recent attempt, Capstone 2013, to get AOO to build in Visual
>> Studio.
>>
>> Have we chosen a final build system yet?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that I became quite familiar with gbuild in the
>> course of migrating our unit tests to Google Test, and have already
>> successfully migrated one dmake module (formula) to gbuild, so if
>> there are no objections, I am going commit those changes and carry on
>> migrating other modules.
>>

> Go for it! When you say "migration" do you mean a COMPLETE changeover or
> would we have both the dmake approach and gbuild for a time? It's important
> to use a build system that has more universal acceptance in my opinion.

The ultimate goal is a complete changeover, but of course I plan to do
it slowly and carefully, a module at a time, testing on all platforms
before committing, and aim for the intermediate goal documented at the
end of
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_Environment_Effort/Module_Migration,
which is to migrate the "late" modules building after svx first, so
that a single GNU make process can then be used for them all and
build.pl for them eliminated. Then, I presume, the rest of the modules
can be gradually pulled into this "good" module group.

> IMO, the important thing is to use gbuild and not necessarily emphasize the
> Visual Studio aspect.

+1.

> And, THANK YOU for taking this on.

Pleasure, and help is welcome ;-).

>> Our current hybrid build.pl + dmake/gbuild system is complex, ugly,
>> slow, unreliable, and hard to maintain, and I believe it's also a
>> barrier of entry for new developers
>>

> I think many of us would agree with this. Although, the current build.pl
> does provide some nicety in its own way.
>

>> (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_System_Analysis). LO has
>> already migrated their build system to pure gbuild. Shouldn't we?
>>
>> Regards
>> Damjan
>>

> --
> MzK
>
> “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
>                                                           --Lao Tzu

Damjan