As per the previous mail, I have downgraded to jdk 1.7.0_79. I ran the
configure script again, after downloading the junit jar, and got the following
output at the end

* Apache OpenOffice 420 configuration.
*
*
* Configuration part of Apache OpenOffice 420 build is finished.
*
* Note: Be aware that you might not be able to build Apache OpenOffice if
* you ignore any warnings that were generated during this configuration
* process.
*
* - Disabling gtk-quickstarter - not supported on Mac. Use --disable-systray
* - JAVA_HOME was not explicitly informed with --with-jdk-home. the configure
script
* - attempted to find JAVA_HOME automatically, but apparently it failed
* - in case JAVA_HOME is incorrectly set, some projects with not be built
correctly
*
*
* USAGE:
* Source MacOSXX64Env.Set (in tcsh) or MacOSXX64Env.Set.sh (in sh)
* in order to set up the build-environment variables.
*

I have set the JAVA_HOME environment variable correctly as per the following
command:

echo $JAVA_HOME
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_79.jdk/Contents/Home

This is pointing to the correct jdk home. This is output of java -version:

java version "1.7.0_79"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.79-b02, mixed mode)

Why is the configure script not able to find my JAVA_HOME automatically and
what can I do to make this warning go away?

Thanks
Jatin