All nice, but with a short of developers that could do any of the points you listed below, it's just a theoretical idea what could be done. ;-)

My 2 ct.

Marcus

Am 11/07/2015 08:41 PM, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
There has been suggestion, and some expressed support, for AOO becoming a
Java application.

I don't want to discuss the merits of this, but how it might be undertaken.

  1. NO STANDING-STILL ASSUMPTION. My first assumption is that one can't
cease Apache OpenOffice maintenance and support while something like a
redevelopment on Java occurs. It is pretty unthinkable that development of a
Java version can be accomplished inside the release cycle (even the past
lengthy cycle), and that migration from AOO as we know it can't be done like
throwing a switch on the universe.  So, my first assumption, which one can
challenge, is that any development of a Java version must happen separate
from the ongoing support for the current AOO.

  2. FORKING TO MAKE AOO4J?  One could consider making a project fork.  That
doesn't make sense as an Apache project, going through incubation, having to
do much from scratch.  But one could make an independent fork of a
Java-based AOO (near) workalike. It could be a GitHub project, for example.
If it is to come back to Apache, it must be sort of managed as an Apache
Project from the beginning, especially around license and code provenance
(IP) considerations.  That might be too hard.

  3. EXPANDING THE ODF TOOLKIT PROJECT.  This is my favorite.  The Apache ODF
Toolkit (incubating) project is Java-based already.  It deals with some
fundamentals about supporting the OpenDocument Format (ODF).  One could
imagine building up the modularization to the point where one could achieve
Writer, Calc, ... etc., workalikes.  There, AOO4J could be a demonstration
of composition of a suite (or even standalone components with shared
libraries).  There are also available related applications for
interoperability testing of the level of ODF support: Apache OpenOffice
itself, LibreOffice, and Microsoft Office.  The support for Microsoft Office
native formats could come from the POI projects and other open-source
resources.

The test of capacity is then one of how (2) or (3) manages to grow into a
thriving project.  Meanwhile, AOO is sustained and there are no diversions
until a natural migration occurs.

How does any of that sound.  It means that there would be no revolutionary
disruption of the Apache OpenOffice project itself.

  - Dennis