On 08/11/2015 Marcus wrote:
Puh, too many compression formats that do the same. ;-)

Yes, there are at least a dozen compression formats better than .tar.bz2, but it's too easy to get lost in comparing them...

So take this as a proposal to drop ZIP and drop .tar.gz ; then .tar.bz2 will be left, and if one wants to change it to something else this is another story, since all kinds of issues, from widespread support to hidden patent traps, from resource requirements to compression and decompression times, would have to be examined then.

Realistically, sources are about 2% of the size of a release, so the compressed size is not a major concern. Dropping ZIP and .tar.gz already cuts the source package size by 75%, which is good enough: we don't need a better compression right now, we need one "canonical" source package that can work on all systems where OpenOffice can be built.

Regards,
  Andrea.