On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 9:26 PM, Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org> wrote:

> On 11/16/2015 7:38 PM, F C. Costero wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Howard Morris (aka Col Boogie) <
>> howard_cary_mor...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I went to open a new document.
>>> I saw the note there was new version available, so I downloaded it.
>>>
>>> First thing I noticed was the spell check is still not working, let’s fix
>>> it before people stop using Writer.
>>>
>>> Next thing I noticed was a small change to the formula generator (math
>>> calc?) in Writer.
>>> The symbol for product seems to have changed. It should look like the
>>> large capital letter pi, P.
>>> Also the ‘from’ and ‘to’ blocks should be centered above and below the P.
>>> This is relatively minor, but thought you should know.
>>>
>>> Howard
>>>

>> I haven't had any problem with the spell check in the latest version. I
>> suggest you reset your user profile. There is a tutorial on the English
>> forum:
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
>> I also did a quick check of the product symbol in Math and I didn't see
>> any
>> problem. What font are you using for the formula. You can see that under
>> the menu Format -> Fonts when the formula editor is active.
>>

> I am seeing similar problems with the product formula symbol. Exported as
> PDF, it looks fine. Viewed in Writer, the capital Pi lacks serifs, making
> it look very strange. When I click on it in the formula editor, it is at
> the bottom left of a dotted box, and the limits are aligned relative to the
> box. Not WYSIWYG.
>
> The fonts are:
>
> Variables: Times New roman, Italic
> Functions, Numbers, Text, and Serif: Times New Roman
> Sans: Arial
> Fixed: Courier New
>
> I have uploaded the files to http://www.patriciashanahan.com/OpenOffice.
> product.bmp is a screen shot of the formula editor. product.odt is the
> actual file. product.pdf is the PDF export.
>
> Patricia

Hi Patricia,
   My fonts are set just as yours are but your odt file looks normal when I
open it, not at all like your bmp. When I click on the Pi in the formula
editor it is centered both vertically and horizontally in the dotted box.
That was all on Windows 7. I also looked at a similar formula in Linux and
had no problem. The fonts there are Liberation Serif, Liberation Sans and
DejaVu Sans Mono.  If no one has a suggestion here in the next several
hours, I'll open a thread on the user forum to see if anyone there has an
idea.

Francis