Am 11/17/2015 11:39 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

On 11/17/2015 02:17 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
We seem to have a number of numer of Java related discussions of
late. Here's another one -- the Java version we're using for builds.

Java 6 went out of update status quite some time ago -- Feb. 2013 --
and this is still being used for our Linux builds, and Windows
builds if our current binaries are produced with the same
configuration as the buildbot configurations.

oops! an errate from me. Java 7 is used for Windows builds. And I
don't know what is used for Mac.

Java 7 reached end-of-life in April, 2015.

Yesterday, I installed Java 8 -- openjdk version "1.8.0_65" -- on my
CentOS 6.7 (32 bit) and built. Testing resulted in OK results for
the little I did. I was concerned about the Base portion with the
installed hsqldb but so far everything is OK.

Is anyone else on other platforms using Java 8 for successful
building and testing? Windows builders? Mac builders? Others? Given
that in our next release, we will be out of the 4.1.x branch (I
think), I would think we could jump up to Java 8. I would expect
that our users would be on Java 8 already.

when we release micro versions (at the moment this means, 4.1.x) we agreed to not change anthing on the baseline for supported platforms and their versions. Then IMHO we shouldn't also not change the base version for the needed Java.

But for newer versions like 4.2.x then, yes, we should improve the code to support the most recent version of platforms and Java.

My 2 ct.

Marcus