> [not cross-posting]
>
> SourceForge is valuable to the project for providing the mirror capacity
> that AOO requires.  The penalty is in regard to user distrust and these
> awful situations that the list and Forum folks have to contend with.  As
> far as our users are concerned, it is the AOO project that is unreliable
> and has them need to be so cautious.
>
> Of course SourceForge relies on advertising revenue to offset their
> costs.  That is to be expected.  The problem is the confusion, not the
> advertising.  We must work with SourceForge to avoid the confusion with
> regard to ad placement and prominence.

With my SourceForge hat on, there are two ways we can jointly work on:

1. Report misleading ads here, following our instructions, see
https://goo.gl/LQFHmE
2. Supporting the Clean Software Alliance guidelines (misleading ads)
https://goo.gl/69XhqW

For #1 I do actively monitor our mailing-list and I make sure SourceForge
removes promptly misleading or unwanted ads.
#2 would actually help to push the whole advertising industry to agree on
more strict guidelines.

It would probably help to contribute feedback to those guidelines, since
those are in a commentary period till the end of the year.

Having been involved in the CSA works I'd be happy to draft a comment if we
intend to do so.

Roberto