Hi,

I am really glad you are looking into POI. I have been waiting for interest. I
am on both the POI and OpenOffice PMCs. The support for each Office document
format varies with the people volunteering. Excel is the most complete format
with support for reading, writing and calculation. There is even a low memory
model. There is new support for Visio. Text extraction is a popular use of POI.
If you are using Apache Solr and Apache Tika you are also using POI.

I recommend that you take a look at POI's unit tests for OOXML use cases. This
is due to how POI creates a lite version of the OOXML jar. Any object used in a
unit test is included.

If you have POI questions you are likely to get answers on either the user or
the dev mailing lists.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone