FYI, the searches I've done for unresolved issues excludes all issues that have
been identified as duplicates and those having any form of resolution,
including being closed.  It does not distinguish between unresolved extension
requests and defect reports, and between unresolved confirmed and unconfirmed
incident reports.

Agreed, finer-grained analysis can provide some clarity on this, and it will be
interesting how much noise happens to be removed.

Of course, technical debt can be more than known and uncorrected bugs in the
code.  It has more forms and symptoms, some of which are reflected in bug
reports of a different nature.

For those playing along at home, what I have relied on in my use of the
*metaphorical* term, "technical debt":

 Martin Fowler.  Technical Debt Quadrant.  Web site article, 2009-10-14.
Available at
 <http://martinfowler.com/bliki/TechnicalDebtQuadrant.html>
 and the earlier paper linked there.

I use the open bugs as an indicator of technical debt.  Whether it is a very
good one or not is a different matter.  It strikes me that digging deeper is
the avenue to clarity on that.

What we have here is evidence that there is something being accrued and that
needs to be dug into.  We can worry about what best to call it when we know
more about what it is.

My concern is that it is a debt that our users and the supporters of the
user-facing lists are paying the interest on [;<).

 - Dennis