Am 07/20/2016 09:25 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
On 7/20/2016 12:03 PM, Marcus wrote:
Am 07/20/2016 07:51 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
OpenOffice really needs more developers, especially build experts but
also programmers in general.

We do have a web page, http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html,
but it it not very obvious and tends to emphasize non-programming
contributions. Those are very valuable, but we have far too few
developers.

I only found out about the need for developers by reading
bo...@apache.org, a mailing list that is available to a few hundred
people. Meanwhile, it's a quiet day if there are less than 100,000
downloads.

The download page, https://www.openoffice.org/download/, could have a
"Developers Needed" block similar to the "Help Spread the Word" block,
linking to http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html.

that's possible. But an additional message box on the main webpage could
also help to get the attention.

Let me think about all this in the next days (maybe weekend?).

The more places we call attention to the need, the more likely users are
to find out about it. I picked the page I did because when I want to
install software package X I type in Google "download X", and usually
pick the first hit. For "Download OpenOffice" that is the download page.

sure. I meaned the main webpage because there we have already a box ready which just needs to be filled with text and finally enabled to show.

If this does get us some more developers, I am volunteering to shepherd
and organize them. I don't think just telling them to pick something to
work on is an effective way of getting them started - we seem to lose a
lot of people at that point.

Thats great as this would be a question because it is a key point that
we need to satisfy: How to please new devs with mentors and work? ;-)

If we only get a few responses I plan to work with them individually. In
many cases my role will be to answer questions for which I happen to
know the answer and not be embarrassed to ask questions that reveal my
ignorance if necessary.

If we get a lot of responses I'll try to form them into mixed-skill
teams such that the members of each team can help each other.

It seems to me you are waiting already for new people. :-)

Marcus