Don Lewis wrote:
On 25 Aug, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
Is there a real reason for it? ...
otherwise we can simply drop the requirement saying "we won't explicitly
test compatibility with Java < 1.7"; but in that case we must provide
ways to obtain a compatible JRE for all the 4 supported platforms.
In the experiments that I've done, it seems like if you build with a
certain Java version, the resulting executables won't work with an older
Java version on the machine where the installation is done.

I believe it's a bit more complex than that, as you build WITH Java version "A" FOR Java version "B". But without going into details, if this takes work and the only result is that we are compatible with fewer users, then we can probably have other priorities.

Regards,
  Andrea.