On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Phillip Rhodes <motley.crue....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Forgive my level of ignorance here, but I haven't been a very active
> participant to this point, so there's a lot I don't know.
>
> In a lot of the discussion around this whole "retirement" thing (both on
> the mailing list and on forums like LWN, etc.) I see a lot of talk about
> the problems with the AOO build system.
>
> So my question(s) are:
>
> 1. What is the main problem with the build system as it is?

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_System_Analysis#
The_recursive-make_problem

> 2. Do we need a whole new system, or just incremental improvements to
> what we have?

We have a new build system, gbuild, started back in the Sun/Oracle days,
based on GNU make and which was eventually intended to replace both build.pl
and dmake.

> 3. Regarding Mac in particular, I'll repeat this question from an earlier
> thread:  Does the ASF have Mac hardware for doing Mac builds, or are we
> dependent solely on developer machines for that?
> 4. I keep hearing about how LO adopted this great new build system... can
> we in any way leverage work that they did?  Or has that already been done?
> Or is it not possible?

41 of our 182 modules (22.5%) have been ported to gbuild. LO completed all
of them but we can't copy from them.

5. Other than Mac builds, are any other platforms especially limited or
> restricted in any way?

Possibly Solaris?