Am 11/26/2016 01:22 PM, schrieb Brian Barker:
At 22:44 24/11/2016 +0100, Marcus Noname wrote:
Am 11/24/2016 10:25 PM, schrieb Brian Barker:
I've been hearing from a intending user of OpenOffice who was
repeatedly finding the hashes on his downloads did not match. He (I
think he was a "he") had repeatedly downloaded form different mirrors
but could not get a match. He even, he says, tried other versions and
other operating systems. Clearly there was something wrong at his
end. Can you guess yet?

as you don't write from where he has done the downloads, this could be
a source of error.

Thanks for this.

That was the first thing I checked, of course - and yes, he was using
the official site.

1. Download OpenOffice from here [1].

Er, where? No footnote! But that's not the problem ...

sorry, I wanted to add the "http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html"; webpage.

[your long explanation]

... or in shorter words.

He has generated the hash value of the downloaded installation file *and* of the hash file (*.md5 or *.sha256 file extension) itself. And then finally compared both with each other. OK, this indeed doesn't work.

Unfortunately, you missed to tell us the user's operating system and how he has generated the has value. So, I assume he is working on Windows and has used a tool. Then you can find the following paragraph on the instructions webpage "http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html#hash_win";. Point #4 says to open the hash file to get the value. For me that is pretty clear. But I'm not a native speaker, so maybe there is room for misunderstanding.

Or do you mean another section of the instruction webpage? Then please tell us.

PS:
Please don't take it personally. However, I haven't heard ever about doing the hash comparison this way. And when I look *into* the *.md5 or *.sha256 hash file I would see that this is the value that I need to compare with the generated one.

Thanks

Marcus