Please correct the specific non Apache licenses if I get them wrong. As far as
I know the sequence of events is:

Oracle buys Sun including OpenOffice (closed license) and the open source
OpenOffice.org (GPL2).

TheDocumentFoundation forms and forks OpenOffice.org as LibreOffice under GPL2

Oracle donates OpenOffice.org to the Apache Software Foundation relicensed to
AL2. Headers changed by an Oracle employee following ASF policy.

IBM donates OpenSymphony to the ASF relicensed to AL2. Headers changed by an
IBM employee following ASF policy.

The Document Foundation takes much of the Apache OpenOffice AL2 licensed
software and rebases LO on it. This allows integration of OpenSymphony code.
Completely permissible under the AL2. They re-did the license of all the source
as MPL2 changing the headers. Some think that this is shady although permitted.
In effect this prevents LO updates from being contributed back to AOO.

That is the sequence.

One could ask on LO lists why they did this, but all we know here is what
happens here.

Some say it is more fun to develop LO. Others like Patricia and I like the
benefits of consuming AL2 software as opposed to GPL. Certainly TDF likes to
consume AL2 software.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone