Even when I'm not a real developer, please let me add some points:

IMHO we could switch when

- ASF Infra can and will support it
- the CMS (it manages the webpages) is supporting Git
- the big majority of us is wanting Git
- it is known how and save that the SVN commit history can be migrated
  to Git

PS:
As Apache project the code has to be at the ASF. I think it's not possible to store it somewhere else like, e.g., GitHub.

Marcus