Why do you want to branch all the time with names that can change? I think it
is an expensive way of getting flexibility. I suggest a more abstract branches.

Why not have 4 permanent branches that are dev/trunc , test, hotfix and Release?

Dev/trunc would contain latest development.
Test would contain the latest release candidate that gets prepared. It bases of
from dev and propagates to release.
Hotfix is the one that bases on release and propagates back to release branch.
With this schema you have an abstract way in doing the same thing without the
limitation of naming.

We could even post vote result into comments. When propagate version to
release. Also we can decide on release name at the latest possible moment.

It would be less confusing especially if we rename a release. (4.2.0 is not
final decided. But we may now have branch. Or we wait until we have decided but
that would delay the result until we are done with the naming.)