There is something I've seen in the OpenOffice code that may be involved in the silent failures to do something. For example, main\xmloff\source\core\xmlexp.cxx, line 759:

                catch( com::sun::star::uno::Exception& )
                {
                }

This will hide any and all UNO exceptions thrown in anything called from the corresponding try block, even with assertions enabled. I assume the intent is that the problem has already been reported, but I don't think it is really safe to relay on that.

Maybe scatter some breakpoints at places like that?