On Sunday, December 3, 2017, Don Lewis <truck...@apache.org> wrote:

> On  2 Dec, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Playing devils advocate, does it make sense to introduce
> >> Yet Another Build System at this stage?
> >>

> > I anticipated this question.
> >
> > Firstly, we don't only have dmake and gbuild as our build systems. We
> also
> > use Ant, meta-build tools like build.pl and co, Microsoft's nmake for
> > main/icu on Windows, and probably more. The existing number of tools
> > doesn't negatively affect development, so why should 1 more?
> >
> > Secondly SCons can replace ./configure, so in all all-SCons world we
> would
> > eliminate 3 tools, not just 2.
> >
> > As for "sense . .. at this stage", we've hit several walls with gbuild at
> > this stage:
> > * It can't version libraries in the form of reg3.dll vs reg.so linking to
> > reg.so.3 on *nix. Most of gbuild was written with the assumption
> libraries
> > on *nix always end with .so. Even when we dangerously weaken those
> > assumptions, and badly hack it, it doesn't deliver the link...
>
> Other than for the benefit of extensions, I don't see much point in
> versioning the libraries because they are otherwise private.  If add
> versioning so that it is more obvious that an old extension won't work
> with a new version of AOO, are we disiplined enough to do the
> appropriate version bumps?
>
> > * It already broke certain mixtures of build settings, eg. I think you
> > can't both debug build and use precompiled headers on Windows, CFLAGS
> gets
> > lost somewhere...
>
> That should be fixable, but ...
>
> > * Nobody knows gbuild. The syntax is atrocious. It uses obscure features
> of
> > GNU make. We can't debug it. It takes days of work to investigate/fix any
> > problem with it, work that could be better spent on a this vast project
> > with few development resources.
>
> Agreed 1000% here.
>
> If you are doing a build with bundled python, how do you bootstrap?  If
> you are on Windows and don't have python, how do you run the SCons
> equivalent of configure and then use SCons to build python?

I am currently doing it by installing Python natively in Windows,
installing SCons there through pip, and then calling that scons.bat from
Cygwin.

And, beyond my wildest expectations, SCons in this setup successfully
compiled and linked a module, both inside Cygwin AND OUTSIDE IT!!! :) :)

> And a more recent question near and dear to my heart, how easy is it to
> do per-target optimization flag overrides?

C[XX]FLAGS are specified to SCons like all other settings, as arrays of
strings. You can specify common settings in the environment object and can
add to those or replace them on individual SharedObjects.