28.05.2018, 20:19, "Kay Schenk" <kay.sch...@gmail.com>:

> This is ONLY for Linux. So, how is multimedia "integrated" in AOO for
> Mac and Windows? Can someone point us to the applicable code areas for this?
>
> I have a feeling gstreamer was integrated long ago when no other
> multi-media standard/app for Linux existed. Now it seems VLC seems to
> the standard for the most part. (This is a dated web page but I think
> it's still a good reference:
> http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialMimeTypesAndApplications.html).
> Basically, we are supplying gstreamer as a multimedia app to Linux when
> maybe this isn't really needed.

The using of gstreamer multimedia backend of OpenOffice was anounced in Oracle
OpenOffice.org 3.4 Beta
in April 2010 and the first release with it was the Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 in
May 2012.

Previously to play multimedia content in OpenOffice the Java Media Framework
(JMF) was used
( https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Java/Java_Media_Framework ).
The JMF wasn't updated since 2003 and supported too small amount of formats in
contrast to gstreamer.