> On Jun 6, 2018, at 3:21 PM, Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>
> Am 06.06.2018 um 19:21 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> Let's not focus on CentOS5 vs CentOS6 for now... the issue is that
>> gstreamer-1.0 requires that previously supported Linux OSs and platforms
>> will no longer be supported; that is, our community builds will no longer
>> work for them.
>
> sure, it's about the platform we now need to use. When gstreamer is no longer
> working with the old CentOS5 system, then let's update it.
>
> That's what I want to express, not more or less.

No, it's about what platforms we now provide community binaries for.

To be explicit: With the jump to 4.2.x, we will no longer be supporting older
Linux platforms that we DID support w/ 4.1.x. This is all about what we change
regarding what platforms we provide community builds for (and thus "officially"
support). If we say that all Linux platforms that are too old to use
gstreamer-1.x (eg: CentOS5, but actually it's a kernel dependency) are no
longer officially supported, GREAT. But let's just make sure that is our
decision.

I actually thought one of the considerations of this project was to support as
many older platforms as possible... if that is NOT the case, then again, we
need to make that decision explicitly. WHAT is our backwards
compatibility/support roadmap for 4.2.x??