Dave Fisher wrote:
I’ve been on with Infra on HipChat and both servers are the same with the same
content internally,

Yes, I don't see this as a major issue either. It is probably too early for Infra to jump in, since we haven't identified major network-related issues so far (yes, one of the two server does not respond to ping and traceroute, but I can get updates from it nevertheless). I mean, of course it doesn't harm but we need to shed more light, see below.

I’m being asked for IP addresses to share so that can see if there is an IP ban
happening.

A ban is for sure not the case.

Indeed, I have interesting news: I can reproduce the bug on an Ubuntu system. My best bet at the moment is that something in the SSL negotiation is wrong.

A nice additional benefit is that this gives us a simple way to reproduce the bug, equivalent to the update notification.

$ soffice https://ooo-updates.apache.org/index.html

(this fails on Ubuntu, succeeds on Fedora)

Note that

$ soffice https://www.google.com/

will work in all cases (so this is not an HTTPS bug per se) and

$ soffice http://ooo-updates.apache.org/index.html

will work in all cases (so this not a network issue but rather an SSL issue).

Now, debugging SSL issues is not easy, but can the people who don't get updates at least confirm the three results above, i.e., that only the first one fails?

Further tests show that problematic systems have issues with ASF sites in HTTPS, like:
$ soffice https://www.apache.org/ # Fails
$ soffice http://www.apache.org/  # Succeeds
$ soffice https://www.openoffice.org/ # Fails
$ soffice http://www.openoffice.org/  # Succeeds
$ soffice https://... # Succeeds for any site I put there, except ASF sites, but I'd love to see a non-ASF example of a failing HTTPS site.

If this is confirmed we are really close to a point where we could actually get useful information from Infra.

Regards,
  Andrea.