Hi again;

I just wanted to stop by and share some ideas of things that need to be done in AOO after 4.2.

Easier things:

OpenSSL has to be updated, yet again, and while the future versions will be under an Apache License, making things nicer for us, the API has been changing so we may need some adaptations to work with future versions.

Python 3: our compiler toolchain for MS-Windows is ancient enough that it is difficult to update internally to a recent Python 3 version. We have been supporting python 3 through external packages: configuring the AOO to build with Python 3 worked but, as found be FreeBSD's builds, it recently broke. I don't have more details this needs more investigation (and fixing).

And now the tougher thing:

I absolutely appreciate the huge effort Damjan has been doing with the build system: getting rid of Dmake is a viable objective that needs to be pushed forward.

I have been playing a bit with clang-cl, which appears to be the only opensource compiler that can work with native windows binaries: it integrates into MS-Visual Studio but it requires CMake. I also happen to have met a developer of the Bazel build system which seems interesting and would suit our purposes in many ways but I have no interest in having long discussions about build systems. The central thing that we *have* to do is update the windows toolchain: MSVisual Studio 2015 seems to be the minimum that is suficiently popular and basically required nowadays.

After that, there is a huge technical debt. Of course, pivot charts, newer ODF and better docx support would be very nice to have but without the proper tooling, especially on Windows, we have one hand tied.

All just my 0.02$.

Pedro.