On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 3:49 AM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 04.11.2019 02:14, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> > Thank you for the info. I haven't had good experiences with Boost in my
> > Win64 attempts either...
> >
> > Don, how feasible do you think Go or Rust are, to start using in place of
> > C++?
>
> Really? You'd rewrite code in a completely different language because
> you can't figure out a way to select std::auto_ptr or std::unique_ptr
> depending on your build environment?

I said "start using" (for new development), not "rewrite". The Mozilla
project did something similar, they used Rust to develop their new Servo
layout engine, not rewrite the whole of Firefox in it.

> FWIW, both Go and Rust are far more moving targets than C++, but sure,
> that's not going to be a problem, eh.

Yeah, it has compiler bugs, undocumented linker issues, crashes when built
with Clang due to lack of -fno-enforce-eh-specs support, crash-on-startup
on some Windows installations, porting to new platforms is hard, there are
incompatibilities with Microsoft Visual C++
static/multithreaded/debug/release library options, it's difficult using
new C++ versions, it has ridiculous build times (7+ hours on Windows),
patches often break the build on some platforms, has all kinds of
platform-specific limitations (eg. no throwing exceptions or passing STL
structures across DLL boundaries), and it's Swiss cheese in terms of
security holes, but C++ is just perfect right?

The reason we haven't made more progress in AOO and added more features, is
because we're too busy babysitting C++.

If AOO was to be redeveloped, I would use C, and supplement it with
higher-level memory-safe languages (NEVER C++).