I have given up on getting symbols throughout AOO. The build system unfortunately ignores --enable-symbols for many, if not most, modules and partial building and rebuilding are not working for me.

As a workaround, I have a hack for compiling in a break. Visual Studio has options to take breaks on exceptions being thrown. It works even in code that does not have symbols generated. This e-mail is to make it available to anyone in the future having the same problem, including my own future self.

Put these lines at the start of the module, near other includes:

#include <exception>
#define ps_report(e) {class e : std::exception{}; try{ throw e();}catch(e){}}

At any point where you need a break, put

ps_report(arbitrary_identifier)

The arbitrary_identifier can be any string that meets the syntax requirements for an identifier. Build AOO.

Before reaching the intended break, enable break on C++ exception in Visual Studio. If the ps_report use is reached, Visual Studio will treat it as a breakpoint. The arbitrary_identifier will be displayed as part of the exception class name. The call stack is available. You can continue from the breakpoint, and the program flow will be unchanged because the catch cancels out the exception.

https://www.avg.com