Hello all, ss I continue building and debugging the next release of my
Writer add-on, in which I'm attempting to include the *Chrome Embedded
Framework* in it's Java flavoured build (I'm using the builds from this
release
<https://github.com/jcefbuild/jcefbuild/releases/tag/v1.0.10-84.3.8%2Bgc8a556f%2Bchromium-84.0.4147.105>
), I've stumbled upon the following situation in my Linux build:

The Chrome Embedded Framework is requiring a *libnss3.so* and
*libnssutil3.so* version of at least *3.22*, however OpenOffice also
utilizes these libraries and is packaging version *3.14*. Since the
OpenOffice libraries are the first ones picked up (I believe from the
*LD_LIBRARY_PATH* environment variable or similar), it is preventing my
add-on from building, complaining that CEF needs at least version 3.22. As
a test, I went and backed up the *libnss3.so* and *libnssutil3.so* found in*
/opt/openoffice4/program/* , and I copied my system's libraries to that
same folder. My system's libraries are at version *3.49* . After this I was
able to build the add-on and debug->run in OpenOffice, and at least at
first sight I didn't see any adverse effects in OpenOffice from the newer
NSS libraries.

Would it be feasible to update the NSS libraries in a next release of
OpenOffice, say 4.1.9? Carl Marcum was just confirming that in the current
4.1.8 release the packaged libraries are in fact at version 3.14.

Another idea, I just thought I'd throw it out there, as I've succeeded in
integrating the Chrome Embedded Framework in my Windows release and I see
the advantages of this, it allows to use all the latest web technologies
such as HTML5, CSS3, V8 javascript etc. etc. Perhaps it could be
interesting at some point to consider integrating the Chrome Embedded
Framework into OpenOffice itself. This could attract younger developers who
are often more versed in Web technologies than in C++ / Java, and would
allow to create some interesting User Interfaces, either in OpenOffice
itself or in the add-ons for OpenOffice that would be able to reuse an
already packaged CEF / JCEF framework. This framework is being widely
adopted now: VSCode uses it, Electron uses it, I believe Steam uses it, a
lot of program interfaces are now turning to Web technologies. Perhaps this
could be something new and interesting that would "distinguish" OpenOffice
in some way? Just a thought. In the meantime I'll pursue adopting it myself
for my own add-on and see where it brings me.

--
John