Jim Jagielski wrote:
I am 100% still supportive of my original decision to baseline CentOS7 for the
4.2.x community builds. I see no reason to change that.

I fully agree. Building on CentOS 5 is extremely hard these times, and one would have to replace the system SSL libraries just to download build dependencies. CentOS 6, as Carl reported, won't be supported any longer by the time we release 4.2.0. And CentOS 7 is a good choice.

I don't think that providing additional "CentOS 5 - compatible" 4.2.0 builds would help users. Many of our Linux builds just take space on the download servers, and we should aim at fixing this disproportion (a lot of space for rarely downloaded files) rather than increase it. But I'll keep this for another discussion.

Also, any CentOS 5 desktop user in 2020 is experiencing lots of issues... I honestly doubt one can even browse the Internet in some reasonably sane way without having to rebuild lots of software. So all CentOS 5 users are probably already struggling just to have a normal desktop experience.

Regards,
  Andrea.