> On Dec 7, 2020, at 4:27 PM, Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> On 07.12.20 20:48, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>>> On Dec 7, 2020, at 1:38 PM, Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I would like to know how you guys feel we should move on with our base
>>> Database. Our current strategy is a small sized embedded DB using HSQLDB
>>> (BSD). There are 2 other options in the same weight class, that is H2 (EPL1
>>> or MPL2) and Apache Derby (AL2).
>>>
>>> Something like SQLLite (PublicDomain) could be technical interesting, but I
>>> think their licensing is not so appealing.
>> Is EPL1/MPL2 more appealing than SQLite's PD?
>
> No not really. I am intimidated by the statements:
>
>   Open-Source, not Open-Contribution
>
>   SQLite is open-source, meaning that you can make as many copies of
>   it as you want and do whatever you want with those copies, without
>   limitation. But SQLite is not open-contribution. In order to keep
>   SQLite in the public domain and ensure that the code does not become
>   contaminated with proprietary or licensed content, the project does
>   not accept patches from unknown persons.
>
>   All of the code in SQLite is original, having been written
>   specifically for use by SQLite. No code has been copied from unknown
>   sources on the internet.
>
>   Contributed Code
>
>   In order to keep SQLite completely free and unencumbered by
>   copyright, the project does not accept patches. If you would like to
>   make a suggested change, and include a patch as a proof-of-concept,
>   that would be great. However please do not be offended if we rewrite
>   your patch from scratch.
>
> Actually their Licensing is:
>
>   Anyone is free to copy, modify, publish, use, compile, sell, or
>   distribute the original SQLite code, either in source code form or
>   as a compiled binary, for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial,
>   and by any means.
>
> Which is fine and works for us.

Also, let's look at https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

Works in the public domain (or covered by a license treated similarly) may be
included within Apache products. Attribution is required (in a similar fashion
to the Category A list.

A work should be treated as being in the public domain when one of the
following applies:

the work is covered by
the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark
<http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/>, or
a suitable dedication (to the public domain) by the authors; or

I think we can confidently affirm the 2nd bullet.